I. QUALITY IMPROVEMENT
To optimally meet the goals of the patient and the health care team. The interaction among physician, therapist and orthotist/prosthetist will define the optimal function, fit and design necessary for maximal patient mobility.
Yankee Medical is certified by ABC, The American Board for Certification in Orthotics & Prosthetics, and our staff consists of ABC + BOC certified practitioners and ATP practitioners.
C. Certification Requirements
Yankee Medical is an accredited facility certified by ABC.
Accredited facilities must employ certified prosthetistis and orthotists who, in turn, must possess the following:
- a baccalaureate degree
- a postgraduate certificate of education in orthotics and/or prosthetics one year of residency experience under a certified practitioner
Candidates for ABC certification must successfully complete the following:
- a half-day written examination
- a 3-day practical/oral examination
ABC practitioners must attend continuing education courses to maintain certification. Their extensive training continues our tradition of providing quality care and services.
D. AAOP Members
Several of our practitioners are also members of the American Academy of Orthotists and Prosthetists (AAOP), which is the national organization responsible for providing continuing education credits for ABC practitioners. Our practitioners lecture throughout New England, detailing the latest technological advances in the Orthotics and Prosthetics profession.
II. STANDARDS OF CARE
A. Based on a physician’s prescription, diagnosis and prognosis, each patient is evaluated and assessed by the certified practitioner or a resident practitioner under the direction of a certified practitioner.
B. For clarification of treatment goals and patient needs, referrals are evaluated in consultation with the physician and other members of the allied health care team.
C. Products are fit at the time of evaluation and if available, are provided to the patient that day. If they cannot items are ordered or custom made for the patient. Product orders are based on the following criteria:
- Treatment Protocol
- Individual patient needs
- Fitting criteria, i.e. measurements, tracings, impressions, castings
- Appointments are scheduled for fitting and dispensing of orthoses/prostheses to patients for proper fit, function and alignment.
- Patients are requested to call us with any concerns related to their orthotic or prosthetic devices and are then seen immediately for resolution of current and/or potential problems.
- Patients who receive custom fabricated orthotic or prosthetic devices are given a survey, which is then used internally to monitor and improve our quality and service.
- Warranties – Yankee Medical, Inc. utilizes only the finest materials available and the most advanced techniques known in the fabrication of orthoses and prostheses. We warrant the custom-made appliances to be free from defects in material and construction under normal use and wear. Our obligation under this warranty shall be limited to the repair or exchange of any appliance demonstrated to be defective within 6 months from date of delivery. Warranties do not cover patient physiological changes. Specifically excluded from this warranty are all foot orthoses and all non-custom devices. On non-custom devices, we will honor the specific manufacturer’s warranty.
- This warranty is expressly in lieu of all other warranties expressed or implied, including the warranties of merchantability and fitness for uses and of all other obligations or liabilities on our part. We do not assume for us any other liability in connection with the sale of those said appliances and devices.
- Service –
- Normal business hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday – Friday.
- Walk-in referrals are welcome.
- Saturday hospital calls are monitored by Yankee Medical. Other after-hours calls are returned on the next working day.
- Hospital calls are evaluated within 24 hours to insure prompt delivery of products needed to facilitate patient discharge. All locations have handicapped accessibility.
- Yankee Medical has six locations serving all of Vermont, Western New Hampshire, North Eastern New York, and Northern Massachusetts.
- House calls can be provided if the patient has no means of transportation.
- Extended Service – Yankee Medical supports non-profit organizations such as (among others) Muscular Dystrophy, American Cancer Society, Children with Special Health Needs, Vermont Achievement and Vermont Center for Independent Living.
III. REFERRAL SOURCES
A. Physicians – Referring physicians in Vermont, Western New Hampshire, Northeastern New York and Northern Massachusetts include DO’s, DPM’s and MD’s. Our practitioners provide in-services for health care personnel. They also exhibit at local trade shows.
Allied Health Care Personnel- Other referring groups include physical and occupational therapists, nurses, caregivers, discharge planners and social workers.
B. Hospitals– Priority status and service given to help insure patients are discharged as soon as possible. Yankee Medical services all hospitals in Vermont and bordering areas.
C. Managed Care Organizations (MCO’s) – Yankee Medical participates with HMOs and PPO contractual agreements to provide Orthotic, Prosthetic and HME services to their subscribers
D. State/Federal Programs -Yankee Medical provides Orthotic, Prosthetic and HME services to patients who have insurance coverage with CHAMPUS, Medicaid, Children with Special Health Needs, and Medicare.
E. Tradition/Indemnity – Yankee Medical accepts assignment for most Orthotic, Prosthetic and HME services from a majority of commercial insurance agencies.
F. Ancillary Providers/Payers – Yankee Medical also pursues contractual agreements with Workman’s Compensation/Auto Accident Third Party Administrators (TPA’s) and utilization review companies.
IV. COST CONTAINMENT FEATURES
- Vertical Integration
- Central Fabrication
- Charge Data
- Risk Sharing
- General and Product Liability Insurance
- Provider Relations
- Orthotics, Prosthetics, Mastectomy and HME Seminars, In services, and Mailings
- V. MANAGEMENT INFORMATION SYSTEMS (MIS)
- Forms: The following billing forms can be generated by our software based upon carrier Requirements.
- HCFA -1500 (New)
- HCFA -1500 (Old)
- Itemized invoices which provide specific detail needed to process not otherwise classified (NOC) procedure codes.
- Electronic Claims- Yankee Medical has the capability to do electronic billing with all insurance companies as well as Medicare and Medicaid.
V. ASSISTIVE TECHNOLOGY PROFFESIONALS (ATP)
Yankee Medical has certified Assitive Technology Proffesionals with combined years of experience. Our ATP’s have dedicated hours of training and education to become certified. To become our ATP’s have to have:
- Clinical Evaluations/Assessments
- Continued Education
- Participation in Inservices
- RESNA Certification
- ATP’s must get recertified every two years